SR - Southern Regional Festival

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Wed Jul 28 11:04:30 PDT 1999

Second Official Letter about the Southern Regional Event

Revised Letter II - Released to the Southern Regional List.  Slightly
updated from that sent to the local seneschals last week.

Greetings from the Stewards of the First Annual Southern Regional
Festival!

We would like to thank the following groups for agreeing to sponsor this
event and/or returning proposals for the specific activities that they
would like to host:  Bjornsborg, Ravensfort, Bryn Gwlad, Fynnon Gath,
Tempio, and Middleford.  This exceeds the number of sponsoring groups
required for this event to be considered a regional event on the Kingdom
calendar.  If these groups have not contacted the Southern Regional
Seneschal, Lady Sosha O'Roarke, ( catsden at texas.net ) to notify her of
their intent to sponsor, please do so as soon as possible.  If you do
not, then you will not be considered an actual sponsoring group (though
you can still participate and run an activity).

We would like to thank the groups who generously offered to host site
for the Southern Regional Festival. We have chosen the Stones at
Ravensfort as the site for this event.  This decision was very difficult
to make, but was based on the fact that the Stones offers beauty,
flexibility, privacy, and the ability to minimize incursions of
mundanity, particularly in the form of parked cars.  Because these
attributes are prized by many in the South, we feel that the choice of
this site is an auspicious beginning for this event.  The use of
porta-privies and an increased number of sources for water in this site
should assure the comfort of festival-goers.

Feast has been awarded to the Barony of Bryn Gwlad.  Mistresses Clarissa
and Meadbh have proposed a cool weather European medieval feast to serve
about 200 people.  It will consist of Herb Cheese and Bread, Chicken in
Bruet (chicken stew), Roast Leg of Lamb or Roast Beef & a sauce
(determined once meat is bought), Mushroom Tarts  (mushroom pie),
Carrots glazed with honey, Pears in Plum Sauce and Excellent Cakes

The Barony of Bjornsborg has been chosen to sponsor the Arts and
Sciences activities and the Rapier competitions.

Ffynnon Gath has offered to host the Party Area of our event.  We thank
them and graciously accept their offer.

The Shire of Middleford will coordinate the archery activities.

Lady Pheobe St. Martin has kindly offered to decorate the site.  We
happily offer her the position of Coordinator of Decorations.

As you can see, there are still activities/positions available for
sponsorship, for which we have not received a formal offer, including:
Armored Combat
Equestrian Activities
KAST
Water Bearing
Site Security
Prize Wrangler

Also, any other yet-unconsidered niches that any individual or group
would like to fill to enhance this event, would be greatly appreciated.

Artisans!  Come shine and create some of your best wares to award to our
Southern Regional Champions.  We will be filling prize baskets for our
winners.

Banners:  Each champion will be given a pass-down Southern Regional
Champions banner to display for the following year.  Anybody interested
in helping to design and/or create these banners, please contact the
stewards.

Champions:  Please note that all champions will be chosen for a
combination of style, skill, honor and panache. Coordinators please
design your contests to take this fact into account, and send in your
plans to the event stewards.  All champions must reside in the Southern
Region.  Individual groups may choose to honor our Southern Regional
champions in any fashion that they choose.  Examples can be, but are not
limited to, free gate or feast for that year's events.

Coordinators: Groups chosen to sponsor the individual activities should
choose a coordinator and deputy coordinator.   These coordinators should
provide the "stewards" with a description of, and list of requirements
for, their activity.

Sponsorship:  We would like to encourage any other groups interested in
being a sponsor and/or running any of the remaining activities or tasks,
described above, to notify us as soon as possible.   Please note: as a
sponsoring group, you will face possible monetary loss, in case of an
event wash-out.  However, let us assure you that costs for this event
will be kept to a minimum and will consist almost exclusively of those
required for feast and privies.  Following reimbursement of approved
event related costs, any profits will be split between the sponsoring
groups.  We promise, however, that profits will be minimized, allowing
more of our friends to afford and attend this event.

Dates:  The Festival will run as a two day event, with some activities
possibly occurring early on Sunday.  If needed, in the future, it can
expand into a 3 day event.  It will be held sometime in April.  I'm
currently dealing with Richard Fairborn and Lady Sosha to figure out
what's -really- happening on what weekend, using the official calendar.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Isobel or Ivar
HL Isobel Hadleigh  gtaylor at lonestar.utsa.edu
Master Ivar Runamagi  ivarcat at juno.com

Or consult the Southern regional Web site:
http://southern.ansteorra.org.

Thank you,

Isobel and Ivar