SR - SAFETY BELTS

Michael A Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Mon Jun 21 05:07:24 PDT 1999

Last Sunday, June 13, Lord Jorund Ivarsson and Lord Hrolf Ivarsson were
involved in what should have been a fatal accident.  As they were
returning to Bryn Gwlad from Bjornsborg, a speeding driver lost control
in his Ford F-250 pickup truck, slid across the median and hit their car,
a Saturn, head on.  Both vehicles were totaled, with the hood of the
Saturn only about sixteen inches long after the crash.

Jorund has six or seven broken ribs, his right femur was severely
fractured, his left lung filled with blood, and he was bruised and cut
virtually all over his body.

Hrolf was severely bruised all over and has cuts on his right hand from
punching through the windshield.

Jorund has been in intensive care since then, and had surgery to repair
his femur, he should be out of intensive care today. Hrolf has been
recovering at our house and is now doing much better.

The whole reason for this message is that all of you, and every one you
know, should USE YOUR SEAT BELTS!  If it had not been for the seat belts
and the air bags in the car, both of my sons would have been dead.

I don't say that they would have been dead based on just a fathers
emotions. I am a professional accident reconstructionist, I look at
wrecked cars all of the time, this was a fatal accident. But we were
lucky, they used all of the safety devices availablein the car, had an
airlift helicopter to get them to the hospital, and a great trauma team
to take care of them at the hospital. Otherwise, we would be talking
about the funeral we just went to.

After His Majesty Oisis was killed, and all of the other friends in the
SCA who have also been killed in car wrecks, please, for those of us who
love you, wear your seat belts all of the time.

Thank you, drive safely, and wear your seat belts,

Ivar Runamagi
Bjornsborg