SR - Southern Champions (?) Many questions

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:17:26 PST 1999

Howdy, all:

There has been a real explosion of postings about the southern regional
champion thing, but the point I was asking about has been missed or
ignored.  I've seen dozens of messages about what to call the winner of
the proposed tourney, and about whether the word 'warlord' is period,
and even about old Charlton Heston and John Wayne movies,

    (Actually, I think the Wayne movie was titled "The Conqueror."  It
stunk - it's one of those movies where the main enjoyment comes from
making fun of it.
    But the Heston movie "The Warlord" was one of the most enjoyable
movies - not best, but enjoyable - ever made in the English language!
Any movie that gets a half-decent performance out of Guy Stockwell has
to be classified thus.  And it's got some really great ham acting.  It's
one of the very best Saturday-afternoon-with-pizza-and-beer movies
ever!)

but so far nobody has addressed the real point of my last post on this
subject.  I don't really care what the winner of this maybe-tourney is
called.  What I want to know is, what is the winner supposed to *DO*?
Is the 'championship' a strictly ceremonial office, or will it carry
some kind of actual authority in regional or kingdom affairs?  Will the
'champion' or what have you do nothing but stand near the throne wearing
an impressive necklace during courts, or will he/she/it actually be
responsible for troop leading or something?

I believe I have missed some messages on this thread, particularly right
at the start.  If these matters were decided back when this discussion
first began, I apologize for wasting your time and would someone please
tell me what the answers are?  If the point of the proposed discussion
is to decide answers to these questions, then would someone please say
that?  If these questions have never been raised before, then should
they be included in the proposed discussion?  And if these questions are
being ignored, why?

      Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra