SR - answer--SR Warlord

Jan Van Zandt mysticmarks at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:14:43 PST 1999

Vivat for For DSD, Southern Regional Warlord.

Thank you David for clarifying several issues in one fell swoop.

Please know that you have continued support of the warriors of Ffynnon
Gath.

HLady Jan

DSD stated:

>For Ld Tomonaga and anyone else out there who is confused about SR
Warlord, here
>is your answer.....
>
>Back when this thread was mulling in its 'regional champions' vein I
had no
>problem with it (emphasis on 's') nor had I any reason to respond.
It's a great
>idea.  One big event sponsored by the region to select worthy champions
and
>promote a united front.  It's about time.  The Northern Region been
doing so for
>years.  They are exemplar in unity and actually have an event which
promotes
>just that, i.e. 'The Northern Regional Tribute'.  They are miles ahead
of us,
>but, in defense, we've only been a 'region' for few years.
>
>The thread has, however, begun to evolve into a area that will end in
>embarrassment for some fine folks and the Region if it continues
without some
>guidance. Such is my place to do so.  The other SR championships are
not my
>concern here.  This is about Southern Regional Warlord.  My response
touches on
>numerous postings to the SR list.  It's important that the region and
the people
>of this list hear it from me.
>
>First, I am Southern Regional Warlord.  Nothing gets planned without
me.  Sorry
>to be so blunt and haughty but at my back stands the Crown.  I've had
the
>appointment for a month.  Any plans made without my involvement
diminishes my
>ability to organize and make something useful of the position and also
>diminishes the authority of a decision made by the standing Crown. That
second
>one makes me angry.  I was appointed the task by HRM Sir Gunthar and I
made a
>solemn promise to him to lead and to organize to the best of my
ability.  In my
>eyes, I'm not the best person for such an honor, but a wise servant
never
>questions a King.
>
>Second, this year's 'SR Warlord' competition, selection, whatever you'd
like to
>call it was held one month ago at Kingdom War Practice.  The
competition was
>announced in the Black Star and was open to any from the region who
wished to be
>involved.  It was promoted and organized by the standing SR Warlord,
Centurion
>Timo.  Turn out for the event was dismal.  Candidates who wished to be
>considered for Warlord amounted to about 1/2 of a line-ruled notebook
sheet.  I,
>for one, saw the position far above my ability, but, thanks to Timo
sticking the
>page in my face and saying, 'Here, sign this,' ....well, you get the
picture.
>My point is, by default, the standing Warlord is responsible for the
process of
>selecting a new Warlord.
>
>Third, for as long as I hold the position it will be called 'Warlord.'
Why?
>Because it serves an organizational purpose within the fighting
structure of
>this Kingdom.  Every other region refers to their battle leader as
'Warlord.'
>Our Kingdom battle leader is called 'Warlord' and it is the title to
which I was
>appointed.   Any change or deviation will promote unneeded confusion
both on and
>off the battlefield.  Confusion loses wars.  That's why we address all
Captains
>as 'Captain' and all Seamen as 'Seaman.'  Same goes for 'Your Majesty',
'Your
>Grace' or 'M'lord.'   You don't believe me?  Just imagine you speak an
obscure
>dialect of Lowlands French.  Your side outnumbers the other 4-1.  Your
>confidence in victory is assured.  Their side is commanded by youthful
pup, a
>mere Prince, yours by a battle wise King.  You are on a hill near
Poitiers.

>Fourth,  there is a fundamental problem with the timing for selection
of the
>Regional Warlord.  I can't speak for anyone previous to Ld. Timo, but
for both
>of us we've been handed the task almost immediately prior to Gulf War.
You may
>as well elect a dead horse.  One change I hope to ensure is for the
selection to
>be made within 3 months AFTER Gulf War.  Should there be the need, this
allows
>some organization time prior to Pennsic but more importantly it allows
at least
>nine months of planning and organizing FOR Gulf War.  I'm lucky, my
planning for
>Gulf War this year had been in the works for a year.  As a result
Raven's Fort
>(with much thanks to Kief's squires, Duke Padruig, Confed, and Ffynnon
Gath) had