SR - Let's Get Things Moving

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Mar 16 18:41:58 PST 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Keith Hood <keith_dell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What I actually had in mind was a position where the holder -
> whatever the position is called - is actually in charge of this
> region's troops at the war.  Other regions have such positions, and
> I believe this region would benefit from having an offical war
> leader.
>
> Is that what is envisioned for the regional 'champion,' or is that
> position just ceremonial?

"Champion" is actually more appropriate for a one-on-one combattant.
The etymology (says the Oxford English Dictionary, the definitive
source on historical English) is originally from "campus", via
"campio" 'combatant in the *campus* or arena, professed fighter'.

1. A fighting man, a combatant; a stout fighter, a man of valour. ...

2.  One who fights on behalf of another, or on behalf of any cause.
techn. One who "does battle" for another in "wager of battle", a duel,
or the like. ...

c.  *Champion of the king*, or *queen*, *of the realm* or *England*:
(see quots.)

1672, Cowel's Dict.  ... His Office is at the Coronation of our Kings,
when the King is at Dinner, to ride armed into Westminister-hall, and
by a Herald make a Challenge, That if any Person shall deny the Kings
Title to the Crown, he is there ready to defend it: which done, the
King drinks to him, and sends him a gilt Cup with a cover full of
Wine, which he hath for his fee.  This Office ever since the
Coronation of Richard the Second, hath continued in the Family of the
Dymoches. ...

A person in charge of a warband would, I think, be a "captain",
"marshal", "constable", "dux bellorum", or the like -- though I
haven't researched the question and don't have any sources past the
OED on the question.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;