SR - Let's Get Things Moving

Jan Van Zandt mysticmarks at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:14:41 PST 1999

>j'lynn yeates wrote:
>>
>> as a individual who belives in "power through" vs "power over" i
would have as
>> much trouble respecting a modern, mundane "warden" as would my
historical scots
>> cousins would have respecting the "wardens" imposed upon by the
english
>> oppressors.
>>
>Lord Charles wrote:

>  Wolf, you might consider reading more about the Border Marches. There
>were 4 English Wardens, one for each of the three Marches on the
English
>side and the Warden of the Northern Marches who was the nominal
superior
>of the three. The Scots also had a warden for each of their three
>Marches, as well as the Keeper of Liddesdale, who was technically
>subordinate to the Scottish Middle March Warden, but was actually equal
>to the Wardens.
>  The Wardens on both sides of the Borders were appointed by their
>respective crowns for the purpose of ensuring peace, security and
lawful
>conduct across the Border.
>  The Wardens on the Scottish side were 'imposed' on the Scots
Borderers
>by Scottish crowns, usually from among the Borderers, NOT by the
>English.
>  I would suggest "The Steel Bonnets" by George MacDonald Fraser as a
>good source for information on this subject, if you're interested in
>learning more about it.

Charles,

While all of that is interesting and informative, not all of us play
English or Scottish personnas.   If our region comes to be called
"Campoleon", which is Spanish, then the Champions have a
English/Scottish title.  I wouldn't expect all of the champion titles to
be in Spanish either.  Actually there are very few Spanish personnas in
this area, but the name does have a nice ring to it.

Terms such as warlord or champion or any other terms such as those serve
well cross-culturally as well as for early and late period players.

As Wolf stated, the term "warden" has too many modern connotations for
most people.  unfortunately, not everyone reads or researches history
the way some of us do.  Some modern connotations are simply too strong,
so why even try to fool with it.

The important thing is that we all have a good time playing SCA.  After
all, it is an escape from the modern world.

HLady Jan
Ffynnon Gath