SR - Response to Daniel's eloquence (and Ivar's)

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Fri May 7 00:07:50 PDT 1999

Dia dhuit, Donal here

Michael A Scofield wrote:

> The name list is in the Lion's Tale.
So is this Lion's Tale still being published via email? Way back when
I was Star Principal Herald I was told this was the case, got one
issue, and never got another. Since Sosha has been Southern Regional
Seneschal, or even before when she was Deputy Seneschal for the
region, she has not received one, via email, personal handout, snail
mail, or carrier pigeon. Kind of hard for her to see what's in it
without even a courtesy copy.

> >       There was supposedly a big meeting to happen this weekend. The
> >meeting was to decide which names out of a countless myriad we were
> >supposed to be voting on.  The who and how many to meet and decide
> >this for the region was to be discussed as well. (confusing, isn't
> >it?)
>
> The meeting this weekend is to discuss the needs and some planning for a
> Southern Regional Festival, which you would be very much involved since
> we have to get it calendared through you. There will NOT be any
> discussion of the name or voting preferences at the meeting at Hero of
> the Temple. There is not enough time for that with the amount of
> discussion we expect on the event planning.
I think this misconception of the purpose of the meeting can be
directly traced to the unfortunate habit of many folk of not changing
the subject line of a thread when the subject changes. From Pendaran's
first suggestion that the upcoming meeting could have a time set aside
for name considerations, the "Next SR Meeting" thread was devoted
almost entirely to discussions of how the names would be voted on. No
one noted the change of subject.

> <snip>
> >       I am a blunt woman and happy to remain this way.
>
> I too am blunt,  the posting you first put out sounded much like you were
> telling all of us to shut up, and you would do it the way you wanted. I
> can recall a few others who have used that tone of voice on Ansteorrans
> in the past. Really not the way to have folks help you.
>
>  No decision >on any
> >name is going to happen over night.  My comment on "not a democratic
> >Society" is true.  We are a volunteer organization, who do the work
> >because the need is there, but this is not "the person who gets the
> >most votes is King" type society.
>
> It is that way on the name of a region, principality, local group, etc.
> (if that name will pass the College of Heralds. And all of the names so
> far submitted have had the chances of passing assessed and published in
> the Lion's Tale, as was agreed upon many months ago -- thanks Aelfwyn and
> Daniel).
True, but there are procedures already set up to give everyone a voice
in that sort of name decision. The comment was meant to indicate that
the discussion of how to vote on how to vote on who got to vote on
what names to vote for was getting a little... no, a LOT involuted.
Also see my earlier Lion's Tale comment.

> >       I believe the quote from MP is, "Well, I didn't vote for
> >you!".  The
> >on line discussions were getting very vote happy and meandering.  This
> >is just a guide to the left.  We will now wander to the right and
> >eventually find the middle ground again.
> >
> >Layd Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke
>
> Ivar Runamagi
> Bjornsborg

My turn! Can I be blunt now? CanIcanIcanI? Thanks!
Top three names should naturally be in order of preference. Not having
a Lion's Tale, Soaha was unaware of the name registerability work
being done, hearing only that "Daniel was doing it". So, she was
interested in getting a name going through the process that was
acceptable - and having alternates for insta-boings. Here's the blunt
part - If you want a name registered with the College of Arms, it has
to be registered to an individual or a branch. The Ansteorran Regions
are NOT branches, and cannot register names. Names have to be
registered through (and to) the kingdom. Anybody who wants to register
something like that without the good will of the Crown and Kingdom
Seneschal is certainly welcome to try. I'll bring popcorn and watch.
Ivar, you yourself stated:
> I think we would be well served if the seneschals would discuss the
> voting with the groups and then let the SR Seneschal run the voting.

So a process has been set out. By the Regional Seneschal. Maybe a
little tactlessly, but rather sensibly, I think. She even apologized
for any ruffled feathers. (and offered Oreos)  :) Can we get on with
it?

Donal O Dochartaigh

1