SR - meeting at Hero of the Temple / Regional Naming

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun May 9 17:53:25 PDT 1999

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moondrgn at bga.com> wrote:
> No formal or final borders were decided. But the name is for the
> current region, so all folk living in the current SR should be given
> the opportunity to vote.

Here, let me stir some bunnies some more -- howzabout expatriates?
That is, in the broader sense, "one who lives in a foreign country",
like the Central Region, not "specif: one who has renounced his native
country".  If it's an August 31 vote, college students may not get
back and get re-connected in time.

I'd like more opinions on asking other bordering groups if they wanna
play on this.

Advantages of "vote if you believe that you're a southerner -- you're
on your honor": simpler to administer (no ballot challenges), no
objections about "we were excluded".  Disadvantage: "they were
included".

> My proposal was that the ballot include three, four, and five star
> names.  That gives us lots of choice without making it impossibly
> long.

That's 16 names at present.  (Maybe 17: Lyonwald somehow didn't get
commented on.)

One idea that struck me (*ow*!) right *after* the southern regional
gathering that I couldn't attend was to get pronunciations for each of
them (recently requested anyway, I think by Gilli) and field-test the
names.  I did that mentally and realized -- you know, some of those
suckers are long.  "Viva Campo de las Estrellas!"  Fortunately, "Viva
Las Tierras Altas de Ansteorra del Sur" is a two-star; our people
would have to have leather lungs to shout that in one breath.

> Should we include a "None of the Above," let people write it in on
> their own, or leave it alone?

An explicit line.  That's what the World SF convention has had
practice with, and it's inclusive of people who don't want a name.

Daniel "'cause it'll lead to dancing" de Lincolia
--
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;