SR - meeting at Hero of the Temple / Regional Naming

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Tue May 11 14:45:43 PDT 1999

tmcd at jump.net wrote:

> On Sun, 9 May 1999, Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moondrgn at bga.com> wrote:
> > No formal or final borders were decided. But the name is for the
> > current region, so all folk living in the current SR should be given
> > the opportunity to vote.
>
> Here, let me stir some bunnies some more -- howzabout expatriates?
> That is, in the broader sense, "one who lives in a foreign country",
> like the Central Region, not "specif: one who has renounced his native
> country".  If it's an August 31 vote, college students may not get
> back and get re-connected in time.

I am going to do a little back tracking here.  If I am not mistaken
anyone can vote who has access to e-mail or a stamp.  That is how I
read the voting procedures.  Daniel, is this not the reason why a
multi choice vote was offered?  Please write if I miss read the
procedures.
Most people who live in the SR certainly are glued to their computers
and this list or their best friends.  Few if any are going to miss
this chance to send in a name (even if it is Donald Duke lives Here).
I had planned to send to the Seneschals the information as presented
in the Lion's Tale to be voted on with out any further time being
wasted.

> > My proposal was that the ballot include three, four, and five star
> > names.  That gives us lots of choice without making it impossibly
> > long.

This is, the whole process, going to be fairly time intensive.  People
are still going to add in their favorites

> That's 16 names at present.  (Maybe 17: Lyonwald somehow didn't get
> commented on.)

When looking at the Lion's Tale there looked to be a few more than
16.  People are sure to add in their favorites as this goes on and the
votes are counted.  Not to bunk your idea, which as is sane and time
conscious, but not everyone will like those 16 presented and will send
in "Rhovanion" or even "Ered Mithrin".  These, hopefully wont get more
than one vote each (if they appear) and there for wont count in the
grand scheme of this tally.

> One idea that struck me (*ow*!) right *after* the southern regional
> gathering that I couldn't attend was to get pronunciations for each of
> them (recently requested anyway, I think by Gilli) and field-test the
> names.  I did that mentally and realized -- you know, some of those
> suckers are long.  "Viva Campo de las Estrellas!"  Fortunately, "Viva
> Las Tierras Altas de Ansteorra del Sur" is a two-star; our people
> would have to have leather lungs to shout that in one breath.

A ralling cry, picke out before hand, for each group at a meeting or
fighter practice? :)  I still like the Corlion as in the Don's of
Corlion and their violin cases. ;)

> > Should we include a "None of the Above," let people write it in on
> > their own, or leave it alone?

  Certianly

Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke
SRS