SR - Ballot text?

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Wed May 19 22:03:23 PDT 1999

Fearless Leader^W^W Sosha has said that she will decide the ballot
layout and send them.  However, I want to propose a ballot, first
designed by Aethelyan and tweaked by both of us.  Since I often say
and write things that are perfectly clear to me but don't seem to make
sense to anyone else, I wanted to briefly run the text by the list so
people can say "I understand it" or "Looks like Early High Martian to
me".  Do y'all follow the explanations and pronunciations?  -- The
"{..}" bits are just to render accented characters in plain ASCII.
The real accented characters will be on the ballot.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work addresses are  tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com.
tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is a lie; tmcd at crl.com is old and will go away.

                    Southern Regional Name Ballot

	Each candidate has its rating, language, approximate
pronunciation, and meaning.  The rating is howhow likely it is that
the name is registerable.

	This is a preference ballot.  Find the one you prefer the most
and put 1 beside it. Your vote goes to it first. Find the one you
prefer next most and put 2 beside it. Continue until you run out of
names you want the region to have, then stop.  None of the Above is a
name candidate.

	If you vote for a name, your vote may get counted for it, so
don't vote for names you don't want towin. Don't even rank them last;
don't put them after None of the Above.  If you want no name, or
noneof those listed, mark None of the Above as 1 and stop.  There is
space for write-in candidates.

Aguas Escondidas *** [Spanish: AH-gwass ess-cohn-DEE-das]: Hidden Waters

Campo de las Estrellas *** [Spanish: CAHM-poh deh loss ess-TREY-ahs]:
Field of Stars

Campoleone ***** [Italian: cahm-poh-leh-OH-neh]: Field or Land of
Lions; a period town near Rome

Campo Estrellado ** [Spanish: CAHM-oh ess-treh-YAH-doh]: Field of Stars

Campospina *** [Spanish: cahm-poh-SPEE-nah]: Field of Thorns

Cuestas de Cedros *** [Spanish: KWESS-tahs day SAY-drose]: Cedar Slopes

El Mirador del Sur *** [Spanish: el MEER-ah-door dayl sur]: The
Southern Lookout

Las Colinas **** [Spanish: loss coh-LEE-nas]: Hills; a suburb of
Dallas

Las Colinas del Sur **** [Spanish: loss coh-LEE-nus del sur]: Southern
Hills

Levgorod *** [Russian: LEHV-goh-rod]: City/Home of the Lions

L{o:}wenfeld *** [German: LEUH-ven-felt]: Lion's Field

L{o:}wenhaven *** [German: LEUH-ven-hah-fen]: Lion's Haven

L{o:}wenland *** [German: LEUH-ven-lahnd]: Lion's Land

Lyonham ** [English: LION-am]: Town of Lyon (a personal name)

Nueva C{i'}bola *** [Spanish: new-WEH-vuh see-BOW-lah]: New C{i'}bola;
C{i'}bola was the Seven Cities of Gold thought to be somewhere in the
Southwest

Sudfold *** [Old Norse: sude-fold]: South Ford

Thornwald **** [Old English: THORN-vahld]: Field of Thorn-Bushes

Torres Altas *** [Spanish: TORE-ess AHL-tahs]: High Towers

None of the Above

Write-In:

Write-In: