SR - The word for the SR Meeting on voting

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu May 6 21:01:44 PDT 1999

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Eirik <eirik at n-link.com> wrote:
> Could I ask the reason for sending the top three names?? It would
> seem that if there is an overall winner, then it should be the only
> one sent. If there is not an overall winner, then some method of
> narrowing the list and deciding the order could be done. If the
> overall winner hits a snag on the heraldic side, then we send the
> second highest one, etc.

For "narrowing the list and deciding the order", I refer you to the
article in the Lion's Tale about preference ballots.  I think they do
the task pretty fast and well in practice (one round of voting, no
runoffs, gives you an order of preference), and usually leads to an
overall winner with broad support.  If you have other suggestions on
how to do it, please let us know.

I would much prefer to publish the voting totals (like the SF Worldcon
does).  The Crown, seneschals, and everyone else would see not just
the top three, but all of them.

As for "a snag on the heraldic side": Lady Aelfyn, the Bjornsborg
branch herald, did research on the names and prodded others into doing
research.  Have I praised her enough?  I would want the "insta-boings"
and the "iffy" ones to not even get on the ballot.  I don't think
anyone has looked at the entire list with an eye to assembling a
ballot.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;