SR - Proactively Solving the Ballot Problem

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:13:22 PST 1999

Salut cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Gunnora posts:
>I have a novel idea.  Instead of worrying about whose fault it might or
>might
>not be that the ballots for the Southern Region Name Vote didn't get sent
>in,
>let's do this:
>
>Extend the deadline on the current ballot.  Contact the seneschals of the
>groups
>that did not respond <snip of particulars>
>That side-steps the whole process of attribution of blame.  It is
>proactive,
>and is likely to get results.

Herewith does Mistress Gunnora once again re-affirm her right to the keys of
the Clue Bus.

I can see the rationale behind setting a cutoff date, but I can see no
reason to ignore mitigating circumstances.  Some of the groups did not make
the deadline, which by some groups' standards was too brief.  Give them a
little more time.  As someone noted earlier, any deadlines set in this
regard are entirely arbitrary anyway.

Mistress Gunnora also notes:
>Once you get the results, I'd personally like to see a comparison of number
>of ballots received vs. number of paid members in each group.  That would
>be
>a good indicator of "apathy" and how representative such a vote is likely
>be.

Maybe.  Duncan was disappointed, and others seem to think they've got proof
that the regional naming effort is being pushed upon a powerless majority by
a vocal minority.

I, on the other hand, was astonished.  We actually got more votes on the
second effort - and that was in spite of a large chunk not making the
deadline.  Duncan compalins of only getting a 33% output from Bryn Gwlad.
I've worked on public political campaign efforts, and I'm impressed any time
a voter turnout tops 20%.

Hell, the last four US presidents were elected by only 20% of the voters.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace