SR - Hope for Wrenne and the rest...

Marlin Stout ldcharls at swbell.net
Tue Nov 23 07:15:22 PST 1999

I have, up to now, tried to stay out of this discussion, but I feel I
must now weigh in.
  First, while I personally dislike 'Campoleone', I don't think that my
personal dislike neccesarily makes it a bad choice. I'm sure that there
were a few folks 20+ years ago who thought 'Ansteorra' wasn't a great
thing to call a kingdom. Who knows what we'll feel a few years from now
about whatever name is selected for the southern region.
  However, it seems to me that the desire to select a name now has
failed at it's main aim, which was supposed to help us develop regional
identity and unity. If this is our goal, the discussions that have taken
place here indicate to me that the opposite has happened. Instead of a
region that comes closer, I see different views, drawing apart over the
issue that was supposed to unify them. I see people I respect, and who I
believe otherwise respect and befriend each other, snarling at one
another over positions that are becoming more and more inflexible as I
watch the discussion go on.
  Perhaps the best thing might be to wait until we've got a few regional
events behind us before we go looking for a name.  I would like to think
that in Sosha's place I'd have the courage to do just that, but that is
immaterial here. We've had two tries to get this right, and both of them
led to bickering and bad feelings. I just don't believe that any name is
worth that.
  I am a loyal subject of the Crown, and will accept anything that they
decide on this. I respect our regional seneschal, both personally and as
a representative of the Crown, and offer her my thanks for the great
(and thankless) effort she has put into this matter.

Lord Charles MacKinnon
Bryn Gwlad