ANST-Announce - Stefan's files for December

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 27 16:22:15 PST 1999

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my monthly article describing what is new in my Florilegium
files.

Please note that there is also a new address for the Florilegium. However, a
duplicate set of indexes will still reside at the old texas.net address for
a while longer. We also lost the server at the new site to a thunderstorm in
the last week. I am told that we should be back online in another day or so.
In the meantime, those files that still reside on the old server can still
be reached using the old texas.net URL:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~lg_photo/florilegium/

If you have any suggestions or criticisms of the Florilegium, please let me
know. If you have trouble downloading a file (other than this current
problem at florilegium.org) please let me know. I can usually fix the
problem within a few minutes of being notified. It is a shame to have a
file unavailable to everyone for six months simply because no one notified
me and I didn't notice the problem myself.

Stefan

----------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nine years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

The Florilegium website now has a new address. It is: http://www.florilegium.org
The old texas.net address will work for at least another few months.

Files that are new or have been updated are indicated by a special marker
in the filelists at the website. In addition, the file -updated-files is
a listing of these files in chronological order.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in most sections of the website.
This filelist or any of my files is also available from me by email in either
Word 6.0 or text formats.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at texas.net
    Ansteorra                             RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com

The new files for this month are:

under BEVERAGES:
   spiced-wine-msg     Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
under CRAFTS:
   urine-uses-msg      Period uses of animal and human urine.
under CULTURES:
   Ethiopia-msg        Period Ethiopia. Referances.
   Sweden-msg          Medieval points of interest in Sweden.
under DWELLINGS:
   SCA-gates-msg       SCA gates and buildings. False stonework.
under FOOD:
   beets-msg           Period beet roots and beet greens. Recipes.
under FOOD-BOOKS:
   Harpstrang-cb-msg   The Harpestraeng cookbook. The oldest
                          cookbook in the Western world.
under LIFE-STEPS:
   Scot-marriage-msg   Period Scottish marriage and handfasting.
under RELIGION:
   heretics-msg        Medieval heretics and heretical sects.
   nuns-msg            Period nuns.
under TEXTILE ARTS:
   p-bleach-fab-msg    Period bleaching of fabric.

Since we are now approaching the Yule season, I thought that I would
mention a few files that might be of interest for those planning
activities for this season:
   12th-nite-msg       12th Night celebrations.
   amber-buying-art    How to buy amber. How to detect fake amber.
   beyond-favors-msg   Things to do for your SO beyond favors.
   candy-msg           Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
   child-books-msg     Children’s Medieval and Ren. history books.
   Christmas-art       Medieval Christmas.
   games-msg           Medieval board games and sports.
   games-SCA-msg       Games for SCA events.
   intro-books-msg     Recommended books on the Middle Ages and
                          Renaissance.
   largess-ideas-msg   Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty gifts.
   merchants-msg       Directory and review of SCA merchants.
   merch-books-msg     Directory and reviews of book merchants.
   merch-spices-msg    Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
   N-drink-trad-art    "Norse Drinking Traditions" by Gunnora
                          Hallakarva.
   Norse-games-art     Board games played by the Norse.
   Pennsic-gifts-msg   Some gift ideas for those going to Pennsic.
   romance-today-msg   Romantic ideas from period to use today.
   St-Nicholas-art     Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
   Sugarplums-art      "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                          Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
   Vik-Shp-lst-art     "Little Viking's Holiday Shopping List"
                          by Gunnora Hallakarva.
   wassail-msg         Spiced cider and ale drinks.
   Xmas-art            "The True Meaning of Xmas".
   Yule-msg            Yule celebrations.
---
Copyright 1999, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net