SR - ballots results (long!)

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Nov 19 06:38:33 PST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-southern at Ansteorra.ORG [mailto:owner-southern at Ansteorra.ORG]On
Behalf Of Lee & Sosha
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 1:58 AM
To: southern at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: SR - ballots results (long!)

<much snippage of good stuff....>

 A few people have been pushing the idea that the region should have a
name to help foster a sense of community. This idea caught on enough so
that a committee was appointed by general acclamation of the few, to
research possible names. People who received the "Lion's Tail"
(unofficial regional newsletter) and people on this list were urged to
submit names for research to determine their chances of passing Laurel,
with the idea that a registerable name would be needed to go
principality in the future. This list of names was disseminated, via the
two sources mentioned above. A consensus was reached, again by the few,
mostly on this list, that a vote should be taken to determine which name
was most liked. It was determined that this would be a good point to
actually involve the seneschallate, in the person of the regional
seneschal, so that the vote would have some sort of official imprimatur
when the results were sent to the Crown.

Just my 2 cents.... I really think that a name isn't going to cause this
region to develop any sense of cohesiveness. The actions of people in this
region and the leadership in the groups are the only things that can do
that. All a name is ...... is a 'decoration'. There is no substance to it.
There is an old saying.....  "Deeds Not Words".   Let the "Deeds" of this
region show we are one. A name sure isn't going to do it.
We have just started to work together to put an event together. Why not
continue in that matter and see what happens down the road?  A name now
isn't going to make this happen any faster. And when the time is right, I
think people will be clamoring for those ballots, don't think anyone will
wait to be spoon fed and have the ballots shoved under their nose to fill
out.
Also, this entire process for choosing a name is ALL our responsibility. For
those that feel slighted, did any of you ASK the seneschals about the
ballots and when they would be distributed?  Or volunteer to help do so?
Come on guys, we are all adults here. IF this whole process was so important
to all of us... there would be more than 94 votes from 4 groups.  Thanks
Sosha for a good job!!!!
And Mistress Tamlin, thanks again for your insight on this. Since you are
from Aethelmearc  I am sure you can share with us your experiences with its
growth from a region to a kingdom.

Meadhbh ni Ruaidh o Chonnemara, OL