ANST-Announce - Will you be the next Kingdom Chronicler?

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Oct 8 10:20:58 PDT 1999

Greetings, my good and true fellow Ansteorrans:

Baron Michael Silverhands here, writing to remind you all that Baroness Margaret
Fletcher will be stepping down soon as our Kingdom Chronicler. If you've ever
published an SCA newsletter and thought you'd like to try your hand at the
_Black Star_, now's your chance to apply. All you need is a current membership
in the SCA, a phone, a computer, and the willingness to do the job.

Why do I care? Well, for one thing I'm Margaret's "emergency deputy". That means
that if for any reason she isn't able to serve (like, she reaches the end of her
term of office) I will serve in her stead until a successor can be found.

<ALERT FOR THE HUMOR-IMPAIRED: WARNING, THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS HUMOR>

I was looking in some old photo albums the other day, and noticed that when
Neassa and I got married 8 1/2 years ago, I had mostly brown hair (with a little
gray). Obviously (for any of you who've seen me lately), in the past 8 1/2 years
_something_ happened. Now, in the interests of marital bliss I can't blame all
of my gray hair on marriage. I don't think Neassa would see the humor in it. :-)
So, what else have I done in that time, that might have given me all this gray
hair? Hmmm... well, I've been Baron of Stargate for 4 years. That would
certainly do it, but I seem to recall that my hair was mostly gray when I was
invested. So, what else...? I'll tell you: I was Kingdom Chronicler!

Now, I don't mean to scare any of you off. Just because my hair turned gray
doesn't mean it'll happen to you. It doesn't even mean it was the Chronicler's
job that did it. Really. But just to be on the safe side, I'd rather that
someone else took the job when Baroness Margaret steps down. Lord knows what my
hair'll do the next time I hold that office. :-)

If you live in the vicinity of Stargate, Loch Soilleir, Bordermarch or
Ravensfort (i.e. within a couple of hours' drive of Houston) I will be happy to
"mentor" you until you've learned the ropes. The job is actually much easier
than when I had it last. I had to personally oversee every newsletter in the
kingdom, and appoint new chroniclers as their positions became vacant; you'll
have regional deputies to take care of that. All you need to do is publish the
_Black Star_, oversee your regional deputies, and make periodic reports to the
Crown and to Corporate. How hard can it be? :-)

Please save me from a fate worse than gray hair, and apply to be Ansteorra's
next Kingdom Chronicler. Send your applications to:

   Baroness Margaret Fletcher
   Kingdom Chronicler
   mka Susan Powers
   11707 Lorene Ave.
   Midwest City, OK  73130-8417
   Home: (405) 769-7695 (no calls after 10 pm)
   Fax:  (405) 769-6254
   mspowers at telepath.com

Yours,
Michael