SR - 2nd time around

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Sep 21 08:43:58 PDT 1999

On 21 Sep 99, at 9:06, Elisabeth Zakes wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 21, 1999 8:43 AM, James Crouchet [SMTP:jtc at io.com]
> wrote:

> > > If it's just a normal candidate, it's identical to "None of the Above"
> >
> > The point was that "I don't want to name this region" and "I don't like
> THESE
> > names" are NOT the same statement. We are looking for a way to put both
> > those choices on the ballot. "None of the above" unfairly combines the
> two.
> >
> > Doré
>
> That's what the Write-In candidate spaces were for. To me, "None of the
> Above" means "don't name the region," and if I don't like the names
> presented, I could write in one I did like. I guess we could rewrite "None
> of the Above" to "Don't name the region."

I don't think I got my point across. Some people (rather a lot, I think) would
like to name the region but do not like any of the names offered and do not
CURRENTLY have an alternate suggestion. Maybe the entries should say:

__ I don't like any of these names and I don't have an alternate suggestion,
but I think we should keep trying to come up with a good name for the region.

__ I don't think we should name this region.

Kinda wordy, though.

To accept that you also have to accept the idea that someone's opinion is still
valid even if they do not have a better idea.

I don't think we should have to name the region RIGHT NOW or forget about it
forever. Why do we have to choose the "least bad" name now, rather than
keep looking for a great one? What I (and the others who have made similar
suggestions, I think) are looking for is the option to express that opinion on the
ballot.

Doré