SR - 2nd time around

Lee & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Sun Sep 19 18:20:47 PDT 1999

Greetings,
	I have read the postings to the Southern Regional list and am dismayed
and appalled at what I have seen.  The sentiments both verbal and via
e-mail are extraordinary, and a few were not so politely worded, but I
will address the issue of the voting.
	Nowhere on the ballot listing does it say that this was to be a
narrowing of the field.  The ballot text does NOT say that this is the
first of a series.  This ballot is to be the tool with which we were to
decide on a name.  In none of my postings or letters to others
(seneschals or otherwise) was it implied that this was the first go
around.  This was to be the ONLY ballot text to be voted on.  I do not
know how this started or who decided this but it was not by me, nor
should it have been from the local Seneschals who have received letters
and e-mail from me concerning this delicate issue.  There is one ballot
text only!
	The next part of this, is that "guesstimations" on who sent what is
fine and dandy but out of all of the ballots, I received (80).  Those
were counted and tallied giving us the top five names voted on.  For
those who can not make it to a meeting for their group, I am listed in
the Black Star under the Southern Regional Seneschal.
	This issue was discussed at the Southern Regional meeting held at
Raven's Fort.  Not all of the seneschals were there (nor their
representatives) nor were they all able to attend the meeting held at
3:00 Saturday afternoon.  However, those present did express some
concern over the idea that a name was to be chosen from only a small
sample (those that actually turned in their votes), and they were
willing do this one more time with a couple of catches.  Those catches
are that the ballots will be sent out to the Seneschals once again, with
a letter delineating voting procedure. The cut off date to return
ballots will be the 31st of October, to be returned to me via mail.
Each seneschal will keep a list of name of those who have voted,
separate from the ballots (ballots should NOT be signed - use a separate
name list), then tally up their votes before sending the ballots and
list of voters on to me.  I will then count each group's votes, combine
all ballots sent to me, tally them, and have a final listing of what the
names voted on are. This will then be posted to the SR List, and
published in the "Lion's Tale".  I am NOT going to post how each group
voted.  This is defeating the purpose of a regional identity.
	October 31st will be the cut off date.  The last set of votes, I had to
extend the actual deadline, not once but twice, so that the region was
not named by the only three groups who got their packets in on time.
This again is the ONLY vote that will be taken to decide what names (the
top five or until we reach none of the above) will be sent to their
Majesties.  Their Majesties did indeed receive my e-mail, Wednesday,
concerning the naming of the region and are willing to postpone any
decisions until THIS vote is finalized.
	Once the new set of votes are in and tallied, the names will be sent to
the crown for confirmation then to Laurel for discussion.

Lady Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke
Southern Regional Seneschal