SR - Loss of a Friend, Loss of a Legend

Conner Craig conner at apple.com
Thu Nov 9 15:41:30 PST 2000

Greetings Bryn Gwlad,

We send sad news today with the loss of a dear friend and long time Bryn
Gwlad resident, Dona Gwenllian Gwalch-Gaeaf. As most of you must know,
Gwenno has been battling cancer for over a year, and we just received word
that she passed away today. While she did indeed battle her illness, we
don't feel that Gwenno lost that battle, for she faced her struggle with the
same grace, wit, tenacity and dignity with which she lived her life. How,
then, can one say that Gwenno lost? No, we who have survived this
magnificent lady are the ones who have lost. We've lost a friend, and we've
lost a source of inspiration.

For those of you who are new fairly new to Bryn Gwlad and never got to know
Gwenno, you do not appreciate the sense of loss felt by those of us who did
know her. Yes, Gwenno was a wise and witty woman, but she was also a pioneer
in rapier combat. Back in the early days of rapier fighting, Gwenno was one
of those happy few who stood against convention and helped create the rapier
community that is now flourishes across the known world. As one of the first
women in rapier combat, and the first Dona in the history of the known
world, Gwenno was an integral part of the movement that gave us the
wonderful gift of rapier combat. If you are a rapier fighter, particularly a
female rapier fighter, please stop for a moment to pay your respects to this
grand lady who helped make rapier fighting a reality.

Finally, we must not forget Gwenno's husband, and everyone's dear friend,
Iolo. We can not for a moment fathom Iolo's loss and can only send our
deepest and most heartfelt condolences to him. Iolo is a man of singular wit
and good nature who has done much to teach and entertain people for many
years. We should all ask what we can do for him at this time of loss and
sadness and lend whatever meager comfort to him.

May God smile upon Gwenno and rest her soul, and may all of His blessings be
upon you all.

Most Sincerely,
Pendaran and Jehanne