SR - Not this again

Amanda Lewanski editor at texas.net
Tue Oct 3 07:21:37 PDT 2000

gtaylor wrote:

> Star court, blah.  If you watched how you said things and didn't backhandedly
> insult people in the course of most of your posts, it might not be so commonly
> aimed at YOU.

And I will point out that for some of us, part of what we try to re-create is the
mode of courtesy, which included the (bad word coming) *ideal* of deference to
rank, politeness of speech, those sorts of outmoded things. In your search for
realism, can you possibly find a few of those, too? They *did* exist, in every
culture I know of.

Content is only half of what you say. Manner is the other half. People will address
manner first, almost always, because it is the visceral response. Don't expect
people to give your content a fair hearing when your phrasing, your manner, is
rude. Conversely, when you speak politely most people will respond to your points
rather than your tone, and dialogue can occur.

--Alisandre Oliphant