SR - A Name Suggestion for the New Army

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Apr 4 09:03:08 PDT 2001

(Drat you, you pesky Pendaran!  Help get these worms back in the can!)

"Lady Elsebetha von Hoffmann of Thuein"

(By the way, you might want to suggest to your group to contact a name
herald about the name.  I can get you Mari nic Bryan's e-mail address
off the list.)

<mythrial at hotmail.com>
> Forces of the Southern Cross?  Navigationally speaking, two of the
> main stars that travelers used to find their way around was the
> North Star and the Southern Cross

    http://www.windows.ucar.edu/the_universe/crux.html says that no
part of Crux is visible north of 30 degrees N latitude (San Antonio is
29 deg 26' N), and adds that it's a modern constellation and has no
Greek or Roman myths.

A little Googling on
    "southern cross" confederacy
shows that "Southern Cross" is an award given by the United Daughters
of the Confederacy and it was a nickname for the Confederate battle
flag (the one that was red with a blue saltire charged with 11-13
stars -- the most famous one).

Harry, JEvans5420 at aol.com, misread me, fortunately.  Harry had the
good point that "the Southern Army" sounds like a Civil War
re-enactment group.

Mari wrote "Legions of Hel" -- thanks, it was a rough day and I needed
the laugh.

There are other types of names for groups of soldiers or tourneying
societies.  The Company of Saint _____ was used, but is probably not
practical for us.  The White Company was Hawkwood's famous band of
mercenaries; "Gold" was about the only color adjective used in order
names, so The Gold Company would be plausible ... but drat! it sounds
like a mining corporation.  White, Black, and Yellow have their own
problems.  The Red Company?  (In the little evidence to hand, I don't
have any information about heraldic tinctures, so I don't know if The
Sable Company, say, would be doable.)

I'll ask around.  May I please ask people to not invest a lot of
emotion or energy into various names?

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)