SR - A Name Suggestion for the New Army

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Apr 4 16:22:55 PDT 2001

Alisandre wrote:
> Unless you decide to honor Riccardo as I suggested, and use
> The Company of Saint John.

"Which one?  The Apostle?  The Baptist?  Chrysostom?  Or any of the
other 50-odd Saints John?".

"S. John of Pisa" is open (closest is "S. John of Perugia").  For that
matter, "San Ricardo de Pisa" (or whatever the proper Italian is) is
open too (there was a "Saint Richard" who died in Italy, revered in
Lucca).

> Alisandre, probably irritating Daniel

*I* have no problem at all with using a hypothetical or invented saint
("Saint Bunstable" is a notable SCA example, "Saint Carol on the Moor"
is another SCA group, "Saint John of Pisa").  Actually, I like it a
lot.  I think it's a lovely period type of name.  I'm a militant
agnostic, so it pushes no buttons with me.  I just don't want to be
there when someone tells, oh, Gunnora for example, that they want her
to march under the banner of "Saint (whoever)" and that "Saint
(whoever)!" is the battle cry.

But if she and Kief (as another notable example) think this sort of
thing is a fine notion, then the odds of it being generally accepted
is higher.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)