SR - Re: naming an army

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Apr 4 20:36:46 PDT 2001

    Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:17:16 -0700
    To: Discussions of SCA Heraldry <SCAHRLDS at LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
    From: "Eafric neyn Ken3e (mka Sharon L. Krossa)"
         <krossa at alumnae.mtholyoke.edu>
    Subject: Re: Naming an army
    Cc: tmcd at jump.net

I think the problem is that actual period army's did tend to be named
"the English army" or "the Duke of Norfolk's men" (or, since this is
the army led by the Duke, not just the men the Duke personally
brought to the army, "the Duke of Norfolk's army"). Since this is not
the army of the whole kingdom, calling it the Ansteorran army won't
work, but you might look into what the various factions armies were
called in civil wars (I expect it was along the lines of soinso's
army). Though actually it occurs to me wonder when "army" came to be
used for armies, so perhaps not soinso's army but soinso's company or
soninso's men and the like. (The CSD indicates that the earliest use
in Scotland was 16th century, but I don't know what context and I no
longer have easy access to the OED). Also, looking through Barbour's
Bruce (which is full of 14th century armies but not by that name),
they don't even tend to talk about the Scottish army or whatever, but
rather about the Scots or the English did this or that, and then for
smaller parts Soinso and his company.

All of which to say, it looks like they're the south Ansteorrans (or
whatever the region they are from is called) or else Soninso's
company or Soninso's men, from a period perspective. Who is the
Soinso forming the army?

Affrick

(Unless otherwise noted, when commenting on names I address
historical authenticity, not SCA registerability.)
Sharon Krossa, krossa at alumnae.mtholyoke.edu
Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
     http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
     The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
     Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/