SR - Lindisfarne Chronicles

Bob Kelley bkelley at accd.edu
Mon Jan 29 06:27:19 PST 2001

On this 29th day of January in the year of our Lord 793,
Brother Oswain sends this missive from Melrose Abbey

Brother Ambrose,
    Bishop Eadfrith did indeed deliver your message.  Having read it, I
am immediately compelled to put ink to paper.  Bishop Eadfrith assures
me that my reply will be speedily delivered to you.
    The dreams that afflict Brother Aidan I too find most disturbing.
His visions of dragon-prowed ships and bloodthirsty brigands should be
given our full consideration.  However, I do not think his dreams are
the result of some discontent spirit, but may truly be a warning from
Heaven.  Here is my reasoning.
    Remember last winter, on the feast day of St. Lucy, all witnessed
the Moon's transformation into a crimson orb that so frightened many of
the brethren.  Not long thereafter, recall the ghostly comet that for
two months blazed in the west after the sun had gone to his rest.
Aristotle teaches that such eclipses and comets are portents of unusual
evil and disorder.  To those dreadful apparitions I now must add what
Prior Gerard saw in the heavens only three nights ago.
    Not long after Compline, Prior Gerard witnessed a great firedrake
streak through the stars, leaving in its path a shower of glowing
sparks.  To him it appeared as if a great celestial sword was slashing
the entire firmament.  This searing brand came out of the north, a
direction well suited for the approach of evil.  Could it be that these
omens and the dreams of Brother Aidan are somehow intertwined?  I have
posed this question to many in this cloister and they too are troubled
by the possibility.
    In return for the healing salves you provided, accept these beeswax
candles.  Light them before the shrine of St. Cuthbert.  In that blessed
illumination recite your most fervent prayers for our protection.

 May the Lord watch over us all,
 Brother Oswain
 Melrose Abbey