[Southern] Heraldic procedures

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jul 28 20:35:21 PDT 2009

I have trepidation about stepping into a minefield, or about
correcting someone who provided some good information in a delicate
situation.

But I know something of heraldic administration, and in particular the
heraldic submission forms.  Unfortunately, the heraldic submission
forms are dense with boxes and explanations, and certain implications
may be obvious only to someone with experience.  Some of the advice
that was accidentally forwarded happens not to be the case, and I feel
a deep craving to amend it.

With apologies for public correction ...

Note:
- I am not a warranted officer of the SCA Inc, Ansteorra, or any other
  SCA branches or functions, whether heraldic or not.
- I have no authority to speak on behalf of, or commit, the SCA,
  Ansteorra, or any other SCA branches or functions, whether heraldic
  or not.
- I can only speak for myself.
- I am *SO* not going to touch any legal issues.

I commented on the designs for the first SCA-wide forms,
and I localized them for Ansteorra.  The current editions are very
close to them.  A few years ago, I was the SCA-wide paper-handling
Laurel Clerk for the Laurel Sovereign of Arms. I know from forms.

The only mandatory check-boxes to check on "Name Submission Form for
Individuals" are the few boxes at upper right, for
- Name Type (pick one): Primary, Alternate, Household, Other (specify)
- Action Type: New, Resubmission, ... Other (specify).

Other check-boxes do not need to be marked for any submission.
Each check-box is labeled with an explanation: the submitter should
read the explanations and check only those boxes that reflect his or
her preferences.  (And fill in the nearby fill-in boxes as appropriate
to explain further.)  In general, leaving check-boxes blank tends to
give fewer requirements or preferences, leaving more leeway in the
hierarchy.

Under "Name processing criteria",

    [ ] I will NOT accept MAJOR changes to my name, even if the name
        cannot be registered without such changes.
    [ ] I will NOT accept MAJOR or MINOR changes to my name, even if
        the name cannot be registered without such changes.
    Note: Leaving both boxes blank indicates that you will accept both
    major and minor changes in order to register your name.

It explicitly says that both boxes may be left blank, and explains the
consequences of that.  A submitter may allow major changes (the most
flexible option, and one desirable for people who allow such
latitude); leaving both boxes unmarked is the only way to achieve
that.

The box for a holding name actually forbids the creation of a
holding name: "I will NOT allow the creation of a holding name".
It need not be checked, and few forms have it checked.  (The only
people who should mark it are those who are very firmly attached to
their submitted name and will accept no substitute, no matter how
temporary or administrative the substitute might be.)  This affects
processing at Laurel level -- that is, SCA-wide final registration or
return.  Kingdoms are not permitted to create holding names, so return
of the primary name *by kingdom* also requires the kingdom to return
any associated armory.

Although not mentioned, I'll note the other boxes.

The "desired gender" is optional.  If checked, it need not match any
wabbly bits actually attached to the submitter, because the heralds
don't look into submitters' underwear, unless you pay for a private
heraldic lap dance.

The "If my name must be changed, I care most about" boxes are optional
hints about your preferences if your name _must_ be changed to be
registered.  If you check a box, please explain on the dotted line.
For example, if you check "meaning", tell us what you think it means;
if you check "sound", tell us approximately what you think it sounds
like; if you check "language and/or culture", give the language and/or
culture.  But you don't have to provide any of these, but if you
don't, Laurel may guess.

The section that starts "[OPTIONAL]" can cause kerfluffle. It is a
request for CHANGES for authenticity above and beyond the call of
registration.  Heralds will do extra work to look up more authentic
forms, and extra changes may be made.  If you don't want it to be as
authentic as possible, you should leave the section alone, or you'll
get unwanted changes and heralds will do unwanted research.

Four copies of name-form-and-document sets must be provided to the
local herald.  The local keeps one set and forwards three sets.

Anyone can feel free to contact me privily at tmcd at panix.com for
consultation or advice; you should poke me if I don't answer in a
couple of days.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com