[Spit-project] raised fire pits and designs

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 09:41:16 PDT 2007

Thanks for the complements.  I think my spit is an adaptation of that one in the book (which is actually originally in Scappi (16th century Italian)), by the way.  The person who made it for me was a budding metal worker at the time, I would have much rather had a prettier piece, but I settle for this one as it is quite functional... that is a 60 pound pig on that spit I'm cooking there (sorry, I never look pretty on cooking days <sigh>).  Sometimes I get it too close to the flames and the outer skin gets really charred, but inside it is succulent.  I think I might have told someone else this, but I make an apricot cordial about 2 weeks before Pennsic, then put the drunk apricots into the belly before we sew it up with wire,  I then add olive oil and whatever spices and herbs hit my fancy and baste that piggy all day with it... in the end, after cutting up the pig, we take the meat we suspect isn't quite 160 degrees, and add it to the left over baste and bubble it over the
 fire... even more tasty!!  The others in the camp usually come up with the rest of the meal, we've had roasted veggies in foil packets, baked potatoes in the coals, and boiled fresh Pennsylvania sweet corn... great meal.  Go to one or two Pennsic's before the one listed below, the year we did Julius Squealer, you see what fun we had with his head the day after!!

This spit was made, by the way, to be able to handle a 60 pound pig out of wrought iron, so is quite large.  My top pole to the spit and the sides are held together with wing nuts, so it is 100% adjustable to whatever height you want it.It could be made a bit smaller.  You could also make one out of wood, you know, with just your spit pole being metal.  I've seen some great examples of them on some European re-creation group web sites... they don't used them as adjustable spits like this metal one, but mostly for hanging their pots from.  I don't see why pegs couldn't be put into the legs and used for a spit pole!!

I have the 2-volume set of Cindy's book, third printing (1993), the picture in in volume I, page 128.  It has tow large cast iron pots hanging from the top of the spit, and some other game or meat (looks like a leg of lamb and maybe a couple birds) on a spit pole at the very bottom of the rows of spikes (and a young page turning the spit).  in the center is another large cauldron on a wonderful thing that I can't think of what to call at this time with a full fire under it, and there are places on the legs of this "thing" for little spit poles with smaller birds on them all the way around... it has  what looks like 4 legs, but there must be more... or the artist was really bad <grin>.  The scene even has a nice sun shade over the entire cook set up (or maybe a rain fly??).  Way cool.

The page you are describing is in my second volume, and I would bet you that cauldron you see is leather... as that looks to me like it might even be early Egyptian. (is the recipe above it for Lamprey Salted??)

The raised bed I saw used two rows tall of 2"x 8" boards that were pegged together... the metal insert (maybe only about 6-8" deep sits on the top set of boards, is filled with dirt, and then the fire built on top of it.  It would change some of the angles of the meat, but I bet it could be worked out rather well.  This way, no digging of a pit, no bending over all the time (I know the cooks would love that), and the only problem is where to put the dirt when done.  But, if one digs a midden and a shower hole, that would be a perfect place to put the dirt until it needed to refill those holes!! <wicked grin>

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo