[Spit-project] Looking at the Bayeux Tapestry...

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:20:10 PDT 2007

>   I think this was discussed on perhaps another list, but the "pot"
>over the fire might possibly be a leather one...

That was actually my thought as well. Possibly a sewn bullhide.

>the liquid inside it keeps it from burning up... plus the fact that it is
>highly saturated prior to being put over the fire.

It's possible to boil water in a paper cup this way. Leather cookpots
were not uncommon and very common in Iron Age camps. Although
most leather pot cooking I've read about used hot stones to boil
the water.

However, I don't plan on being THAT authentic.

>that looks almost like a jaw bone or similar type tool he is holding,
>but how it is transferring the items from the table to the bowl he is
>holding, I cannot figure <sigh>.

I'd have to look at the image again, but I would hazard that he
is using a flesh hook.

Okay. I brought up the image. It's a bit large, but I would still
guess it is a form of flesh hook or some tool for dragging boiled
bits from a pot.

>   I think the meat on sticks is interesting... not just the recognizable
>chickens,
>but the ones that look almost like different colored hot dogs <grin>.

I'm betting they are representations of various roasts. That's why
I was thinking of having both pork and beef roasts at the feast.

>   Pottery bowls and such were used this early, check out the British
>Library
>(I think that is the place), in their history ceramic stuff,

I agree. Pottery bowls have been used as eating and drinking vessels
since before the days of Christ. Although considering the rustic environs
of the celebration feast as well as what has been found from digs of the
time, I would go with wooden bowls. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of
cheap individual salad bowls to serve drinks in.

But by the looks of the dining bowls, being so much deeper and rounder
as well as bits of decoration, I would hazard that the bowls that food was
served in were clay or even metal.

>I like the little covered bowl that the server is holding in the "frame"
>with
>William and his knights.

A covered bowl isn't uncommon and rather smart to have to keep food
warm or unbothered by insects. Although I'm thinking it may actually be
a covered goblet to be presented to one of the nobles. Note how the
server's lower hand appears to be grasping a stem. Covered wine goblets
were a status symbol for upper nobility.

That's why I'm going to try to find a nice big silver goblet for William and
certain high nobles to drink wine from and have lesser guests drinking mead
and ale from bowls.

>   Have fun re-creating this feast. <smile>

I'm having a good time so far....

>   ~~ Katarina Helene

Yers,

Gunthar