[Spit-Project] Spit-Project Digest, Vol 4, Issue 13

Rosalyn Johnson rjohnson at cfsa.org
Tue Jul 31 07:00:23 PDT 2007

Actually, the chicken and bread were done in a skillet. The chicken is a
medieval middle eastern dish with almond milk, prunes and dates,
thickened with bread crumbs. And the Pan de Campo is the state bread of
Texas! It's made with rapid rising yeast, allowed to sit in the 'fridge
at least 3 hours (or up to 3 days, which makes it ideal for camping),
formed into thin flat patties (like a tortilla) and quickly grilled in a
greased skillet until brown and almost charred. They puff up a little.
Yummy!! Especially with butter and honey.

My friend roasted a chicken and made a nectarine pie with shortbread
crust, both of which turned out perfectly. She put both items on a rack
in the dutch oven, and the bottoms didn't get overly browned.

The hinges were pre-made I think. My husband said he thought they were
piano hinges, anyhow they are long, the entire length of the fire pan.
They are riveted into place.

Miriam