[Spit-project] pottery

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 11:34:13 PDT 2007

I did this.  I think it says he coiled or pinched his pots and I used a kick wheel.  Perfectly period from about 900's and I HATE pinching and coiling....and slabbing, which is why my apprentices don't have the pottery I have promised them that can't be thrown<G>
  It was very much worth the trouble of tending the fire to watch the pottery go in greenware and come out chemically changed and "fired".  Unlike the man on the website, I lost several pots because of temperature fluxuations.  The pots will explode in the fire so make sure you are ready to duck.  Once was probably enough on this particular experiment for me because I don't like the smoke marks on the finished pieces and I just don't have the time to devote to keeping the fire the right temp.  It was definately a fun learning experience and I recogmend anyone who really wants a taste of what it was like to do pottery in the middle ages go for it.  If I ever decided to fire all my own pottery in a period manner and I had the time and land to devote to it, I'd build a later period updraft kiln...not so much smoke marking.
  gwyneth

Virginia Gatling <ginlee at cnbcom.net> wrote:
  I found this to be interesting.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/Articles/Pottery.htm

Has anyone tried making pots this way? I think I might try to make one.

Regina