[Spit-Project] Pennsic cooking

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 08:24:56 PDT 2008

> Ok, the war is over, so does anyone have pictures or
> accounts of neat cooking or dining over an open fire?
> Flickr account photos and links are ok.

I didn't get to see or participate in any outdoor cookery.
We were pretty busy just being Heirs.

So, taking this in another direction:
I'm pretty amazed at the modern conveniences that
camps have set up. Most major camps now have
showers with hot water heaters and propane. Solid
wall structures are beginning to replace period tents
as the housing status symbol.

Our camp kitchen was in a very large Grimm's tent
and included two full stoves with ovens (we had
homemade bread and rolls pretty much every day)
and a full hot water double sink.

Things have gone a long way from the crowded
shower houses with questionable water temperature
or "Sun Showers" of a 5 gallon black plastic bag
hung in camp. A really fancy kitchen used to consist of
cajun cookers and stockpots.

I can only imagine what next year will bring.

I did walk past an earthen bread oven at one
point. There were several outdoor cookery classes
posted but I never got to attend any.  :-(
Someday I swear I will attend Pennsic and not have
to fight the entire time!

> How did people cope with the rain?

Like we always do. We coped. Some open firepits
were under awnings and no time was lost. Others
ate at food court or there were kitchen tents with
modern stoves.

The rain was only bad one night, and as the previous
poster noted, otherwise not bad at all. MUCH better
than last year.

> Johnnae

Yers,

Gunthar