[Spit-Project] West Coast Culinary Symposium Update

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 14:54:29 PST 2011

In case you haven't seen, here's the latest information for the West
Coast Culinary Symposium adapted from a couple of handouts posted to
the Subtleties list.

February 10, 2012 to February  12, 2012
Camp Bothin Youth Camp
3125 Sir Francis Blvd
Fairfax, CA

The Facebook page  is

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=178604645548239
The website for the event (which is still under construction) is
http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html

The schedule and class list for the Culinary Symposium is still
somewhat in flux, but here are the classes I've got as of now:

Cooking Over a Fire
15th c English Table Manners
Breaking a Pig
Saffron History & Uses
Cheesemaking 101
Intro to Pressed Cheese
Mozzarella
Skyr
Redacting 101
Viking bread in theory and practice
Searching Sources
Fritters
La Cucina Povera: Italian Peasant Food in the Sixteenth Century
Camping without a Cooler
Drying and Preserving Herbs in a Dough Coffin
Exploring Martino
Evolution of trenchers and Bread on the medeival table
Portuguese Goa
Period Charcouterie Data Review
Cuisine in the Byzantine Empire
"Gebachens" – Foods for Fastnacht
Poultry as Food Animals
Roman Food
Ottoman Cooking
Hands-on Carving: Chickens, Peaches and Pies
Poultry Processing
Writing Food History: How to write it and where to publish it?
Gelatin - savory, sweet, subtlety, and prescription!
Bread Baking
Perfectly Period Feast and How We did it
Period Islamic Cooking

So, send in those registrations soon.
http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html

Juana Isabella