[Stargate] Cooks of Stargate, lend me your wisdom (long, but then, some things have to be)

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Sun Apr 17 05:32:35 PDT 2005

Greetings one and all.

At our last event it was brought to my attention that the barony lacks
the necessary equipment to run a primitive kitchen.  Without private
equipment that was borrowed, the feast would not have been possible.

I would like to work toward equipping the barony with a full kitchen, so
that when a head-cook is preparing the meal for an event, said cook
doesn't have to scrounge around the various kitchens that we use to find
all the equipment that they need, or if they are in a primitive
environment (say, Camp Camwood, Livingston Trade days, or any other site
we might use in the future that does not have a stove and ovens
available for cooking) they will have the proper equipment to work in
that environment, with only a limited amount of items that need to be
borrowed.

While I welcome discussion immediately concerning the kitchen equipment,
I think I would be remiss if I didn't have a full inventory of the
barony's current kitchen equipment.

To that effect, I would like to ask for a volunteer to go with me to the
storage room on April 24th (next Sunday) to inventory the cooking
equipment/supplies the barony owns.  Once taken, I will publish the
inventory on this list as well as offer a copy to the chronicler.

Furthermore, while discussion on the list is important, I would like to
have a meeting of the minds, in person, at the combined fighter practice
the following Tuesday (April 26th), for parties interested in finalizing
a "shopping" list for presentation at Stargate's populace meeting on
Monday (May 2nd).

In our discussion of kitchen equipment please keep the following in
mind:

1)	I want to limit our discussion to the essentials; pots, pans,
cutlery, heating/cooking equipment, cleaning equipment, and serving
equipment (bowls, trays, etc.).  Cutlery should be limited to knives,
serving spoons/ladles (which the Barony has a plethora of), etc.

2)	Equipment should be sturdy, and markable (either with a metal
etcher or some other permanent form of identification (Sharpies do NOT
work!).

3)	While our goal should be to adequately equip the barony with
good equipment, I would like to attempt to keep to some type of budget,
so that we don't see an inflated list of items that would be nice.  That
having been said, I am proposing an initial budget of $2000.  THIS IS
ONLY A PROPOSAL AND A STARTING POINT.  With any luck, it will become
obvious that we need more or less as discussions are held.

4)	We all have resources that we go to for our personal equipment,
and part of this process will be to determine where Stargate can get
their best value for robust equipment.

My thanks, in advance, to all who help with this.  While the barony may
not choose to include every item that is suggested, I hope that we may
be able to bring Stargate's cooking equipment up to par with the feasts
that the barony has a reputation for serving.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am,
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate