[Stargate] Why PDF is a problem for us

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue May 16 10:35:26 PDT 2006

I'd like to offer some suggestions, some observations, and play devils
advocate.

Melody Soice wrote:
> I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who never opens the PDFs.
>
> Michael, I know that you're probably using a great, over-powered
> computer with super graphics capabilities and a wonderful internet
> connection.  We don't all have that at home.  Opening PDF files at our
> home is, likely as not, going to lock up any applications I have open
> if not the entire computer.  That has happened often enough that I
> just don't open PDFs unless I have to.
If this is a problem I would suggest that you try a differ viewer for
your PDF files.  For low power and low memory systems I am currently
recommending the *Foxit Reader*.

    * It is a great little PDF reader and unless you are needing the
      super advanced functions of PDF then it is all most people will
      ever need.
    * The entire reader is a one executable file  and compressed or in
      an installer package is only 1.2MB and can fit on a floppy if you
      need to take it somewhere for install (as opposed to a 20+ MB
      download for the current Adobe Reader.
    * It's memory footprint is far smaller.   Opening he May Two Towers
      is uses less than a quarter of the memory (and far less CPU) than
      the Adobe reader would.

I encourage you to give it a try and see if it fixes your PDF problems.

_*http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php*_

After all most all SCA forms, handbook, law, etc. are distributed as PDF
files these days.  It's important to be able to open and print those as
needed.

> I also find it more difficult to read publications online and much
> less enjoyable.
Sometimes I do as well.  Sometimes I like having a hard copy to mark
up.  Sometimes I like having a hard copy to take with me to an event.
Sometimes I just like a hard copy.   The great thing about PDF as a form
of electronic distribution is that it preserved the page layout almost
perfectly and if I want a hard copy of something and don't feel like
reading online then it takes just a minute for me to print my own copy.

>   I have only read one copy of The Two Towers since Stargate ended its
> publication.
Stargate is still publishing The Two Towers.  Their distribution method
as simply changed and now they are using electronic distribution rather
than a paper distribution

> I am glad that the information is still available to anyone wanting to
> get to it badly enough, however, it is no longer something I look
> forward to receiving.  I'm not trying to just gripe here but if you
> really want to understand why I consider the discontinuation of the
> physical Two Towers to be a great loss and a sad mark of the decline
> of our barony I hope this helps clarify the issue for at least one
> family.

I feel just the opposite.

I never subscribed to The Two Towers.  Since I have lived in this area I
have been in Gates Edge and I have always subscribed to the Over the
Edge but never The Two Towers.  Like most people if subscribed to
anything I only subscribed to the immediate local branch.  Sometimes I
would hear of something that was printed in The Two Towers and would
wish for the chance to read it and now I have that chance.  Since
Stargate started distributing electronically I go to the website each
month to read the latest issue.   I think it is very likely that the
newsletter now actually reaches more people than it did as paper and ink.

> Hopefully I'm the only one that feels this way.  Don't jump down my
> throat folks and start telling me how I need to upgrade our computer,
> I'm just letting you know where things stand for us.
>
> Melody

If your computer does all that you want and need it to then ya don't
need to upgrade.  However since it wont currently allow you to
comfortably read a PDF and since the bulk of all the SCA's important
documents are published in that format then I encourage you to try the
Foxit reader and see if that free and simple alternative  works any
better for you.

Regards,

-Eadric