[Stargate] Do you like the SCA you play in today?

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 18:56:33 PST 2007

> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:38:50 -0600
> From: "Gerald Norris" <jerryn at houston.rr.com>
> Subject: [Stargate] A while back ...
> To: "'Barony of Stargate'" <stargate at lists.ansteorra.org>

<snip>
> Do you like the SCA you play in today?
> > HL Gerald of Leesville
> A bard of Stargate

Interesting question Gerald, after thinking on it a bit ...

My interest in the SCA has always been predeominately in the arts and sciences in the art history
venue.

Yet, when I joined back some 20 years ago, the arts in Ansteorra (may differ in other kingdoms)
was often a bolt-on activity with such a heavy focus on tournament fighting.  It's gotten a bit
better since the advent of Gulf Wars with a few more arts related events on the calendar - but not
much.

As Ansteorra dealt with fighting soooo much, early on I found myself seeking out activities that
kept me busy at events - waterbearing, gate, seneschal... but that's not really where my heart is;
and I've often longed to be in a kingdom where there was more activities in the arts.

So, now that it's 20years later and my body is not able to keep up with some of the more
physically demanding activities of the tournament related events; I find that I focus only on just
the events that will have arts activities at them (competitions, classes - I love classes).
Frankly, unless I need to be at an event for some kingdom business or such, I'm probably not going
to attend it if there is not some form of artistic activity.

I get very frustrated when autocrats will list 'SCA classes will be held', but never list what
classes they are offering - if it's a subject or teacher that I'm interested in - that alone maybe
worth my attendance.

The main thing keeping me playing in the SCA these days is my interest in the arts AND being able
to see the varied friends I've made over the years.  Since Aslyn mentioned alternative groups, if
I could find an SCA-like organization that focused more on art history and reproduction in the
same middle-ages...I'd might consider migrating over there.

I also recognize that if I want more arts related activities in the SCA, I'm probably part of the
solution to see that it's done.  So I try to offer a class and/or take art handwork to the events
I attend; which lets me practice my art and perhaps teach a thing or two.

Hope that's what you were looking for Gerald,
Hillary