[Stargate] Two weeks ago I asked a question

John Moore iaenmor at swbell.net
Wed Jan 24 17:41:45 PST 2007

Gerald, yes I do and no I don't.  You ask a heavy question and sometimes
it takes time to search your heart and mind for a answer.  Some have
none and some have not the skills to answer.  It makes my heart sad to
see a friend who has been in this game for a long time and they are
still wearing a generic tunic with a pair of jeans and tennis shoes.  At
the same time my mind reels when a newcomer shows up to their first
event in perfectly period dress because a old timer took them off to the
side and showed them how to do it right.

 Do bargrills fit with the ideals and the research that we have now.  No
but they are something that my mind can easily ignore, with the
knowledge that they are there for the safety of themselves and others.
Walking up to someone that has on a whatever made from modern Hawaiian
looking material at a event does glare in my mind like you would not
believe.  And yes they are still out there.  Most likely great people to
be around but not what we should espouse about the Society.

Things have changed greatly since 1981 when I first saw the SCA and it
continues to get better.  I hope it continues to grow not only in
knowledge but members.  Please try to get it right and grow as you do.
Research, learn and grow.  Mentor someone new.  Teach them what is
right, show them how to do the research and help them to get it right.
At the same time keep it fun.  Nothing will run someone off when you
make it more like work without the pay, rather then lets do this and use
this and see if it comes out looking like it did back then.  Watch the
smile on yours and their faces when the old gal with a brass hat comes
over gushing about the clothes, art or whatever you all did.  It happens
and that is when my ideal of the SCA comes to light.

Iaen