[Stargate] The SCA we Play today

Mike Dowdy mdowdy at houston.rr.com
Wed Jan 24 19:31:57 PST 2007

Howdy folks,

I don't normally jump out there on list as I tend to get flamed.. now with
that disclaimer...here  goes .

I joined the SCA for partying and fighting (1985?). I will be honest that
was the end goal at that time. I matured and so did my thoughts of the SCA.
I am in it for a great many other things now.. (and still fighting and.. um
the other thing to..)

Now, Contrary to popular belief, we need that same kind of person as I
am/was. We need the young *for lack of a better term I shall use my own
name* Michaels to come party and mature, (notice the party and mature...) we
need those Michaels to grow and learn.  Kain and Lissa (or is it lessa) form
Glen Aub, always.. have a HORDE  of new folks, .. we aren't talking every
few years, we are talking EVERY YEAR. They have encouraged the growth of
everything from squires to peers to crowns. They have a expenintial track
record, we need to take notice. Folks they meet STAY IN THE SCA and mature.
(for some reason we are looking for the pre-mature sca person.. ??????)

I think we need to take a step back and find a way to make ourselves more
open and friendly. Lets face it, our last 10 years of recruiting in the
combined Stargat/Loch/Westgate/ cant even pile up one year of what they can
do. We need to the same thing folks did for us, offer up a HELL OF A FUN
TIME,  be patient, teach, and set the example. We need to get folks and
*mature* them just like most of us were *matured*..
just my 2 cents
Michael of Gravesend