[Stargate] populace meetings

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 4 17:14:55 PST 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Crystal Lamb wrote:

> Here's a thought:
>
>   Is there a reason why we have to have Populace in the same place
> every single month?  Granted it would cause major confusion, and
> the B&B and officers may want to throttle me for suggesting it, but
> what would be so wrong about going on Progress....rotating meetings
> every month or so (or quarterly) to a different location?  I'm not
> suggesting scattering locations to the four winds of the Barony,
> but perhaps widening our view to truly share the burden.
>
>   Just an idea.
>
>   ~Aslyn

The short answer is that folks *like* routine, because it's less to
keep track of. As someone is getting in the car they don't have to
think "If this is a month divisible by 4, Populace must be at the
Whitman branch" (or whatever).

Also, historically (hysterically?), that has created a problem for
folks who have gaps in their attendance. I can't tell you how many
times I had someone approach me when I was Baron to say something to
the effect "I used to play but had to drop out for a while, and then
couldn't find you because you'd moved the meeting". You only knew
about the new location if you were present when it was announced;
Catch-22.

That's less of a problem now that we have web pages, etc., whereby
folks can find us again. But it's still a consideration.

Of course, just because something didn't work last time doesn't mean
it won't work next time, but those are the historical reasons (at
least, the ones of which I'm aware).

Ancient history from
Michael
:-)