[Stargate] The Elephant in the Room

Joe McGrew oscagne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 10:32:51 PST 2007

On 1/12/07, Michael Silverhands <silverhands at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2007, at 12:03 PM, David Whitford wrote:
>
> > Just a few points-Im not saying Toras points are
> > wrong, just in need of clarification I think. WWII
> > groups do not always have folks just fall down, thats
> > for show battles. Tacticals have a different set of
> > guidlines like we do. ACW is very similar. As for
> > aunthenticity can we find a different term rather than
> > nazi, the longer I play and the more I strive for some
> > form of accuracy the more offensive I find that label.
> >
> > Robert..babbling from work
> >

> How about "authenticity zealot" or "...tyrant" or "...dictator"? I
> think those words capture the gist of it: someone who, in their
> passion to achieve Global Domination... er, I mean, uniform
> authenticity... inflicts their vision on others with overbearing and
> often thoughtless zeal, unaware (or uncaring) of the harm they are
> doing to others and to our society.
>
> Besides, I've met some very nice Nazis in WWII reenactment groups. :-)
>
> Michael

I don't know if we should shy away from the word, at least not in this
particular conversation.  Y'all are discussing (at least partly) what
other groups have going for them that may be draining our new
recruits.  And "Nazi" is a word that THEY use.

Specific example: I was grumping about a word someone had with me as a
beginner on my LiveJournal.  A friend who's into Dagohir replied that
I should "forget those garb-Nazis and come play with us... we don't
care what you wear as long as it's not street clothes."

My own anecdotal datum, anyway.

Gregor MacBeathain