[Stargate] Stargate's official date

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 13 09:38:45 PDT 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Darlene Vandever wrote:

> Oh and according to his entry in the OP, Myrrdyn ap Rhys, Baron
> Stargate,
> was elevated on Oct 17, 1973....so we were a group (and all groups
> were
> Baronies then)for one year and 16 days *before* we had our first
> Baron...probably where the confusion lies as to if our anniversary
> is this
> year or next year.
>
> *I* say, Lets have *two* anniversary celebrations!!! One for the
> founding of
> the Barony (this year) and one (next year) for the anniversary of the
> founding of our Baronial Lineage!!!
>
> I don't know about Steppes or Bryn Gwlad but we might be the only
> Barony
> with that type of split in time. Until then, I remain..
> Forever in Service,
> Annes
> AKA The Party Historian

Hmmm... Annes, that doesn't "ring true" to me. When Stargate was
decreed by the Crown (of Atenveldt) to exist, you are correct in that
it would have been created a Barony (as all groups were back then).
But it doesn't "smell" right to me that the Crown would create a
Barony without a Baron. Surely, Myrrden was installed as Baron of
Stargate at its founding?

I believe the original date for the founding of the group (October 1,
1972), especially since it's documented in the Two Towers "shortly
after the event" and that date coincides with the OP.

However, I find it less plausible that Myrrdyn would have been
elevated to the rank of Baron more than a year after being made Baron
of Stargate. But I wasn't there, so I can't say with certainty.

Curious,
Michael