[Stargate] Stargate's official date

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 13 10:49:51 PDT 2007

Annes,

You are assuming that the information in the OP is infallible. You
might want to revisit that assumption. It *might* be absolutely
accurate in the entries you cite, but... I wouldn't stake my life on
anything in the OP. Just sayin'. ;-)

Having said that, I agree that things were done differently "way back
then"... folks were still figuring out how they wanted things to be
in the Current Middle Ages. And I find it quite plausible that there
might have been a time lag between the creation of the Barony and an
event to celebrate the fact (attended by the Crown). However, I'll
stand by my "smell test" that I find it implausible that the Crown --
even then -- would create a Barony without naming someone Baron; and
that installing someone as Baron would have been effectively the same
thing as elevating them to the rank, estate and title of Baron.

You wouldn't create a Kingdom or Principality -- even then -- without
naming someone King or Prince. And that was synonymous with elevating
them to the rank of King or Prince.

On the other hand, there's a big difference between a Barony and a
Principality or Kingdom. I could see the former being done "by the
stroke of a pen" back then, perhaps without a formal investiture in
the presence of (and by the hand of) the Crown. But I see no
effective difference between being named (in a letter) Baron of
Stargate vs. being formally elevated as such in a Crown Court.

I'm curious what Bran and Shanahan might remember of those days...

Michael