[Stargate] Fwd: [Announcements] Waterbearing proposal request for comments

Maria Buchanan scarlettmb at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 17 09:52:19 PDT 2008

>From the President, Patrick Anderson:

Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in
the waterbearing
community to examine the various laws of states and
countries related
waterbearing as an organized and official activity of
the SCA, Inc.
Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc.
that while our
activity does not directly violate the food codes or
health regulations
of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of
illness, the SCA,
Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several
health care
professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic
and agree with
 this
assessment.

I was asked to examine the best way to both ensure a
safe fighting
environment for our fighters, and to comply with the
various state and
country laws. The relevant laws vary from state by
state, county by
county and country by country. I determined that the
best way to do
 this
would be to make “waterbearing” unofficial and
unsanctioned by the
 SCA,
Inc. and proposed this change to the Board. The only
other option would
be to regulate waterbearing, and to regulate it such
that it follows
 the
various food safety codes of the various states and
countries the SCA
participates in. This would be unwieldy, impractical
and expensive for
the SCA to do. Further, it is likely that waterbearers
would not be
 able
to continue to serve our fighters using any of the
current methods of
waterbearing.

The proposal put before the membership for comment
would stop
waterbearing by any SCA branch or other official
group. The SCA would
not have an office of waterbearer at any level.
Marshals would still be
permitted to allow waterbearers on the field, but any
waterbearing must
not be done by any officially sanctioned or regulated
groups of the
 SCA.
Households are welcome to provide water to fighters,
as are unofficial
and unrecognized “guilds”. This does not bar groups
from putting
 out the
"serve yourself water coolers" at events. (In my
Kingdom they are
usually the big orange cylinders.)

The Board and Corporate officers understand that many
people have spent
time waterbearing within the official framework, and
now hope that you
continue to volunteer unofficially. This proposal has
been brought to
enable fighters to continue to have a waterbearing
service provided to
them, without the extremely strict governance that
official
 waterbearing
will require.

The actual text of the proposed rule is below. This
rule has not yet
been approved by the Board, and is being sent out for
comment here. The
Directors request comments from the membership
regarding this proposed
revision no later than October 1st, 2008. Please send
them to:
Corpora Revision
SCA Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas CA, 95036
email: comments at sca.org

Thank you for commenting.

Patrick Anderson
President, Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Proposed language to be added to Corpora:
The activity of providing beverages to combatants and
spectators at SCA
Combat activities is not regulated, warranted,
organized, controlled,
 or
sanctioned by the SCA, Inc. or any affiliate or
subsidiary entity. All
warrants, authorizations, or other formal recognition
of this activity
are by publication of this change revoked. This
document does not
 either
address or restrict such volunteer activity or the
methods by which it
occurs.
president at sca.org
952-412-4112

Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
SCA Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas,  CA 95036

You may also email comments at lists.sca.org.

This announcement is an official informational release
by the Society
 for Creative Anachronism , Inc.  Permission is
granted to reproduce this
 announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites
and electronic
 mailing lists.

To change the email address you receive these messages
at, visit the
 URL
listed above, subscribe to with your new email
address.  Once this is
completed, return to the URL listed above and
unsubscribe your old
 email
address.