[Stargate] Waterbearing proposal request for comments

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 18:11:17 PDT 2008

Michael Silverhands said:
> I understand it to say we can continue waterbearing exactly
> the way we are now -- folks on the list field, walking the perimeter,
> etc. -- if we want to. The only difference is that the activity
> won't be "regulated, warranted, organized, controlled, or
> sanctioned by the SCA, Inc.".

I had seen some discussion about this matter on the Knowne World Waterbearer lists, and have been expecting a ruling from the BoD such as the proposal they are now making.

Remember, this proposal is not a done deal yet - the BoD is asking for comments.  If you have any, please 'respectfully' submit them to the e-mail address they posted:
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
SCA Inc., Box 360789, Milpitas,  CA 95036
You may also email comments at lists.sca.org.

I haven't yet had a chance to fully think about the proposal and the ramifications, but at this time I don't think there is an issue with an official 'officer' verses a 'Guild Head'. The structure can work essentially the same, with hierachy of contact via e-mail with a guild structure or household, if necessary, and if all guild-members are in agreement, or signing up to a charter if necessary.

However, I am wondering if waterbearers act without being an official office of the SCA, will the funding for the waterbearing expenses come from the SCA still?  Will it still be possible for a local group, kingdom or major event to subsidize the gatorade and other supplies as part of an event expense, while the service is run by a guild or household group?
Questions to consider.

I'm also wondering how other non-profit organizations get away with having water-services and food at their functions and still are not having legal issues or regulation requirements, such as a requirement to be a food caterer, in their communities - such as Boy and Girl Scouts?

I will be sending comments and questions to the BoD.
Regards, Hillary Greenslade, OP,
Premier Ansteorran Waterbearer