[Stargate] [Coastal] IKE recovery

Leslie Snipes lesdsnipes at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 10:06:44 PDT 2008

I'm south of the medical center in Houston and don't get to play anymore but have been reading along on here for a while.  From what I hear from the brave souls who have ventured out, here's what people are saying is in short supply if those of you on the outside are going to come in and would like to help your friends by bringing stuff:
Gasoline, of course;
baby food;
baby formula;
pet food and medications
generators (but, of course, those need gas);
fans for those who have generators (but they usually aren't big enough to run a household A/C)
ice and water (although that's improving)

FEMA provided evacuation for pets and children but only made provisions for post-evacuation shelter for adults and children and only post-evacuation food for adults (in the form of MREs and Red Cross and Salvation Army seem to have done the same tack on food, just for those old enough to eat adult food).  People will be finding a way to get home but they won't be able to get these things locally if the power stays out for long.  If you know where your SCA friends are and are able, go by and check on them because most won't have the ability to reach out on here for help.  4 weeks (the estimated time for full electric restoration and it isn't going according to plan so may be longer) is a VERY long time for most who may have planned for a week at best.

You all know how many people in the SCA are too proud to admit they are poor and need help; pick on them and give them help.

Leslie S. 713-795-0811