[Stargate] Alternative power for computers and cell phones at long camping events

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Oct 15 09:36:11 PDT 2010

  I take two deep cycle batteries to war each year.

One runs my CPAP and it does it all week easily.  Actually it does it
for more than a week since I am usually on site for 10 days or so.  The
second runs the pump on the shower  and it always last a full week.
So far I have never either during the week.

I always have my cellphone and laptop for emergencies but I try not to
use them at war unless the is real need.  I am at at the SCA event to
get away from that stuff.

For cellphone recharging dont plug a home cellphone charger into the AC
inverter.  You waste power in converting from DC to AC and then from AC
back to DC for the phone.  Just get yourself a car charger for your
cellphone and make sire you have a 12v DC outlet connected to your
battery so it can plug in there without having to do DC/AC/DC conversion.

It certainly is not cost effective to do this just for cellphone
recharging.  It is much more cost effective to simply go on ebay and buy
an extended runtime battery  and a spare battery for your phone and when
you get out of your car just make sure they are fully charged.  Unless
you are spending a lot of time on your phone a couple of batteries
should last all week and if during the week you ever get in a car to
take a trip to town  just make sure you  take em with you for a top-off
and recharge.

I would caution people against thinking they could run a microwave
without spending a bunch more cash on a significantly more robust
setup.  Microwaves actually draw a good bit of juice and most affordable
DC/AC Inverters aren't going to handle them  or will burn up trying to
power them.  A typical low power microwave draws about 10A of 120V power
or 1200 Watts.  The small Microwave that Deitrich had at Camwood last
weekend drew 13.5A or 1620 Watts.  The $80 Inverter in the list below is
a 750W inverter and one needed to power a Microwave is going to cost
$200 or more.  But yes, it could be done as this is basically the way
that off-grid 100% Solar and Wind powered homes do it.

-EA