[Stargate] [Gatesedge] Alternative power for computers and cell phones at long camping events

Steve Scott (Dietrich) dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 11:46:41 PDT 2010

Oops!

I did not mean to suggest that this was an efficient way to charge your cell
phone!  But, if you have the setup for your laptop (or other nice things like
lights, showers, and medical devices), you could do like Eadric says and use a
car charger cord for your cellphone.  For that matter, I have a charger for my
phone that runs on 4 AA batteries.  It will charge it up from dead to full
charge 2.5 times on one set of batteries.  They are available for most
cellphones, I think, if you look hard enough. Here's the one that I use for my
Samsung
http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PS&Product_Code=PSI-46065&Category_Code=samsung_omnia_accessories.
 It only cost about $15.00!

As to the microwave, I was mostly joking, though it was nice having one in our
trailer at Gulf Wars 2009!  We prefer getting away from that stuff at SCA events
too, but, it sure was great for warming up single meals! ;-)  Also, I did point
out that you would need a larger inverter and more solar panels to make up for
the extra draw with a microwave.  As Eadric pointed out, it can be done, but you
need a big inverter, (at least 1500W, like this one
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422348_200422348 for $199.99)
and a SMALL microwave.  The one we had at Celtic Harvest was our "big"
microwave.  We have a smaller 600W one that we used to use in our camper
trailer, while we had it.  You could easily run a small one (like this 600 watt
one from Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-0.6-Cubic-Foot-Rotary-Microwave-Oven-White/14897479
 that costs $55.00) on the 1500W inverter.

By the way, we no longer have the trailer, it was a means to an end, and had
served it's purpose.  We hope to be going to Gulf Wars 2011 with a nice, roomy,
period tent, with lots of amenities from Longship Furniture in it!

The whole point was, that for about  the same cost (+/- 10% or so) as a similar
output gasoline generator, you can put together a portable solar setup to do the
same thing, with no noise, exhaust fumes, or gasoline!

YIS,

Dietrich

Numerus vestri pluma!
Number your feathers!