[Stargate] POPULACE REMINDER!

Brandon Garner garnerbk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 09:19:36 PST 2012

Greetings Stargate!

As usual, but hopefully for the last time, I will not be able to attend populace tonight; here is my report for November.

Moving fighter practice to Thursday night has been very successful so far. There have been many people stopping to ask about us, and we have had good attendance. I will continue to hold practice on Thursday night.

Practice starts at 7:30 and goes until 10:00, or we're finished - whichever happens first. For those who are making it to practice, please keep it up; for those who aren't sure whether this practice is for them or not, why don't you come out and give it a try - you might like it!

As we move into cooler months (supposedly/potentially) I just want to say a few words about gear and hydration. First, keep drinking lots of water. Just because it's cool out doesn't mean you aren't sweating, it just means you might not be as aware of it as you would be in the heat. You still need to keep hydrated.

I also notice a lot of people start wearing a cotton layer in the winter, because they think it keeps them warmer. This is actually the opposite of what happens. There's a saying amongst seasoned campers & hikers: cotton kills. When cotton gets wet (say, from sweating) it takes a long time to dry out; while it's drying out, it's sucking the body heat out of the wearer, thus making them colder. Instead of cotton, consider wearing an insulating/wicking layer, such as silk, or a layer of Under-Armor-type fabric. These fabrics will keep you warm, even if it gets wet.

And that is all.

YIS

- Oringr Ketilsson
KM, Stargate