[Steppes] Plea for the SCA

letebts at earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 27 19:59:28 PDT 1956

As a preface to the following, may I comment:
I do not say what I am about so say to dishearten any who seek to have a
device submitted. These are different times and the attitudes of the heralds
may have changed. If you are seeking to have a device passed, please make
the effort. Their display is impressive and adds color to festivities. I
have painted many small display shields for an event's parade. I felt very
proud to be part of the owners' group.

I do find it, however, very curious all this about a discussion's being
widely known within the college of heralds of why devices were or were not
chosen to pass and that such information was passed on to those on a quest
to gain a device. None of that has ever reached me, or I might have a device
by now. (I am not whining, but only astonished, having accepted that I
probably will not ever have a device.)

After many drafts and much discussion, I have submitted two, and both have
been turned down. For the first one, change upon change was attempted, under
the aegis of two renowned heralds, and but all I did came to naught. I
tried, with not much enthusiasm, I must admit, for another. Two years after
having been turned down again, I somehow heard that one of the colors should
have been omitted. Being much discouraged, I haven't tried again.

Now, to another thing I would like to know:
I've been active for a while, but I can't think of the exact year I began
playing, and I am seeking someone to help me discover it. My first event was
12th Night at Olla Podrida--and a magical experience it was for a newbie,
one who was graciously asked by Amra to sit at his table since I was alone
and knew absolutely no one. (I shall always have "warm fuzzies" for his
magnanamous and gentle hospitality!... I managed to sneak him a bottle of
champagne in thanks for that act.) Could someone recall that year?

In service,
Lete