ST - Imperial Roman Chariot and Solid Rocet Booster Specification

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Nov 4 10:24:57 PST 1999

a friend sent me a copy of the orgional of this thread knowing how i love such
connections ....

On 1 Nov 99, at 21:54, forvalaka at juno.com wrote:

> ... So who built those old rutted roads? The first long distance roads in
> Europe (and England) were built by Imperial Rome for their legions. The roads
> have been used ever since. And the ruts? Roman war chariots first made the
> initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their
> wagon wheels and wagons. Since the chariots were made for, or by Imperial
> Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing

goes even farther back ... many recent scholors support the contention that the
keltoi were the ones that cut the majority of these roadways through the great
european forests.  and that the later romans, being a exceptionally practical
people, especially in things military, adopted and improved them as military
roads (and until recently were assumed to be the builders) ... so celtic
chariots and the trade wagons that supported a far-flung trading system were
plying them long before the romans broke out of italia and adopted them for
their needs.

many of the things attributed to the romans are in actuality things they
learned / inherited / improved upon from their enemies (particularly the
greeks, etruscans, keltoi, carthogenians, and germans ...) that they lived in
close proximity to and/or were involved in military conflict with ... they were
not great innovators but exceptional adopters, improvers, and deployers ... the
japanese of their time.

i so love connections ...

'wolf

... now, don't protest your innocence, only the dead get off scot-free
- warren zevon