ST - Kids and SCA

willowjonbardc@juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Wed Dec 15 13:36:31 PST 1999

 Cyniric Cyniwarding
I have raised two sons in the SCA and I believe they will stay in the
org.  I have been in the SCA and  I have seen lots of people raise their
children in the SCA. Many of the kids grow up to hate the SCA. I worried
about this a lots and here is the list of things I figured out not to do.

Do not register arms and names for your kid. Normally the children want
to do that for themselves when they grow older. It becomes a statement of
their individuality if they do it. You know they have become a real
member when they want their own identity.

Do not force your kid to work in the SCA. Always ask them to take part.
Remember this is a volunteer organization. Make working a privilege not a
chore.

Do not put the SCA above your children. Sometimes  as members we get very
involved with the game but don't let that interfere with your time with
your child. I know lots of SCA kids that feel mad at the SCA for taking
there parents away from them.

Make time for mundane activities for your kid. I heard one SCA kid
complain for hours because he never got to do sports. Often it is more
fun for your kids to go to Scouts or the church camp. There they don't
have to wear plastic tags and have their parents watching them all the
time The other problem with not letting your kid do mundane things is
that the SCA becomes mundane. I know a group of SCA kids in another
kingdom who grew up and started coming to SCA events and playing very
loud rock music. They didn't see that this was bad because they had
always done their own things at SCA events. They didn't really know about
the game or the dream.

One of the most important thing is a do. Do make the SCA special. Stress
it is for big people  and make it a privilege. If possible don't take you
children to events they don't want to go to.
 Yours
Willow de Wisp