ST - Kids and SCA

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:19:13 PST 1999

Well said Willow!

I have for years planned group "mundane" activities such as Halloween
parties, Easter egg hunts, and summer theme parties because I did not want
my hobby to take away from my children's memories of growing up.

While both my kids love the SCA, I shudder when I hear of parents dragging
their poor children to an event when there is an activity that they would
have chosen to attend rather than an SCA function, like Trick or Treating, a
school dance, a skating party, you get the picture.  I have found that a
call to another parent can often facilitate the hcild's preference, and in
those cases where I can't find an easy resolution, I will evaluate how much
the event means to me vs how much my child wants to attend their function.

Register arms for my kids, heck no!
Willow said it exactly right, it would have been like my sister (who brought
me into the SCA in the early 80's) presenting me at my first event and
deciding my arms for me.  The SCA is the hobby that I chose, and if my kids
wish to persue fighting, arts, service etc... it is for them to decide,
otherwise they would receive little or no enjoyment from it.  My son has
been boffer fighting since he was 5, he was born into the SCA as my daughter
was, and I would like to see them grow up enough to enjoy it before they
burn out :)

Larissa